Friday, December 19, 2008

New favorite thing: Pantene shampoo and conditioner

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but it's true: I'm a product snob. Particularly when it comes to hair products. I generally believe hair stuff sold in salons is of higher quality and performs better. I'll go the drugstore route when it comes to hairspray (which I basically don't even need), maybe, but shampoo and conditioner? No way.

Partly because I beat the tar out of my hair. Color. Bleach. Blow dryer. Flat iron. Daily washing because I live in fear that otherwise it'll look like Robert DeNiro's in Cape Fear. Given all the abuse, pricey products seem like a safe choice.

But then, I was watching TV the other day and Stacy London from What Not to Wear was on pitching Pantene shampoo and conditioner.

Now, I know celebrity spokesmodels don't generally actually use the products they endorse. But she has really great hair. Exceptional hair, truth be told. And I thought, well, if she's willing to stake her reputation (a reputation based on looking good) on a product line, maybe it's worth a look.

So, throwing caution to the wind, when I was at the grocery store earlier this week I picked up the most moisturizing-sounding Pantene products Safeway had for sale: Pro-V (whatever that means, something about vitamins, I think) Moisture Renewal. It was less than $10 for the shampoo and conditioner combined.

It was with no small amount of trepidation I tried them yesterday for the first time and -- I love this stuff. Seriously. It smells fine, a little goes a long way, and the combination of shampoo and conditioner leaves my poor color-treated, heat-tortured, battered hair smooth and shiny.

I'm stunned. And feel more than a little foolish that I've been spending all this money and ordering stuff online, even, when really decent products were apparently as close as my local grocery store. I can't vouch for any other Pantene products, but the Moisture Renewal stuff is really, really good. And I'll definitely be trying out other formulas and products in the Pantene line in the future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, she totally *does* have great hair. It's like a tossup what's the best, hair or legs.

Anonymous said...

Pantene tests on animals.

Nora :) said...

Nooooo! Really? Well, crap. So much for that.