Sunday, December 27, 2009

Song of the day

I'm not sure how many people know of the late singer Eva Cassidy. She reinterpreted many folk, rock and jazz standards, performing them largely for Washington, DC audiences. She released a couple of albums prior to her death from melanoma in 1996 at the age of 33. A BBC broadcast of her version of "Over the Rainbow" several years after her death (an amazing interpretation of a great song) brought posthumous attention to her work and her album "Songbird."

One of my favorite songs ever is Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time." It's been covered by artists ranging from Ronan Keating to Matchbox 20. But Eva Cassidy's version remains my favorite. Her clear, haunting voice just stays with me.


2 comments:

Christina said...

Wow. I love that song -- and I'd never heard of her, but wow -what a beautiful voice.

David Wolfe said...

Nora, I first heard her when I was in high school soon after she died. Songbird has always been my favorite, but she does a rendition of fields of gold that brings tears to my eyes. Sting never saw her coming. Bar none, one of the best voices I've ever heard.