By reducing people's thoughts and comments effectively to haikus with its 140-character limitation, strange, funny, beautiful phrases and observations come often from people you'd least expect. Too, it's a little like the great equalizer -- so many famous people tweet under the own names or obvious handles (like Ashton Kutcher, who tweets under aplusk) that non-celebrities can get a small window into their lives and minds.
So -- who's following whom on Twitter? I follow many friends and colleagues, obviously, and lots of publications, but here's a list of other folks who amuse or inform me with their little blurbs.
- WilliamShatner: Need I say more?
- HalfPintIngalls: Yep, Laura Ingalls Wilder from Little House on the Prairie is a hilarious, anachronistic poster.
- MarkFinan: Local weather guy. Hugely helpful to have weather forecasts tweeted to my phone a few times a day now that rain's on the menu.
- NotRickWarren: He gets it, even if Pastor Warren doesn't.
- FakeJohnPiper: Screamingly funny at times. Actually makes me laugh out loud.
- FakeAPStylebook: Does anal retentive have a hyphen?
- HowardKurtz: Writer for the Washington Post and CNN media commentator.
- Sh*tMyDadSays: Generally profane, mostly amusing posts of a 29-year-old man who lives with his dad and tweets the little gems of wisdom his dad spouts throughout the day.
- Dooce: Mom of two kids in Salt Lake City who blogs and tweets about her life and raising a precocious five-year-old and baby, living with dogs (one of whom is crazy) and a funny husband.
- Wonkette: Caustic, potty-mouthed political commentary from the left.
- ShoeBlogger: Very, very funny man who blogs and tweets in an homage to Manolo Blahnik about shoes and society.
- PostSecret: The postcard art project I love so much in a Twitter version.
- LigonDuncan: Mississippi pastor I admire (and have a small crush on) provides bits of doctrine and God's Word.
- Hodgman: The humorist and embodiment of the PC in Apple commercials is a regular and frequent poster. His brain is a strange and funny place to be.
- ESVDaily: A daily Bible verse from my preferred version of the Bible.