Saturday, January 24, 2009

Song of the day

I really love the Bee Gees. I mean, I grew up in the '70s, so there's the whole disco thing that I am just now beginning to come to grips with, but also I think it may have been their beautiful harmonizing vocals that first turned my head as a young girl from the pop garbage on the radio to real ballads, lyrics with meaning and the fact that music could be good to listen to while not horrible to think about.

Anyway. This song has been a favorite from the first time I heard it. The Bee Gees released it in 1967. They had written it originally for Otis Redding, but he died in a plane crash before he could record it. It's been covered numerous times by folks as diverse as Nina Simone, Joe Cocker and Janis Joplin. I love this version of it performed by Damian Rice and Ray LaMontagne.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

even if he had a beard like that?

Nora :) said...

You raise a valid point because the beard is pretty bad.

Yes, for the sake of the love song, I could overlook the beard. Plus, there are razors.

Christina said...

awww... definitely a beautiful song.

and beard problems are usually pretty easily solved: "Honey, it's alright if you don't shave. I'll quit shaving, too!"

Nora :) said...

I love the way your mind works, Christina.